Saturday, May 16, 2009

Tuesday 31st March

I pore over the contents of my purple folder. One of the items is a catalogue for BB Wear. Apparently, as our course fee includes membership of EMBA, we will qualify for the members' discount. I ponder endlessly over this - all in one full suit? smock and trousers with integral hood? without? separate hat? White, biscuit or light grey? And the gloves - where to start?
The list of members' contact details is interesting. I am amazed at how many beekeepers live reasonably close by. Both Al, and Big Al live less than 3 miles in opposite directions from me. I feel somewhat comforted by this and head down the garden with my new knowledge, to select my site.
On my Gardening blog, I have a long rambly post about my erstwhile rose garden. I decide that it is the perfect spot for 2 hives, 1 with bees, the other empty in case they swarm. Apparently they will swarm, according to our teachers, but we can easily deal with that by a manipulation called Artificial Swarming - to be covered in a later class. Sounds a bit alarming really, but I will reserve judgement until I have had some bee handling experience. The first practical class will not be until the 2nd May, and our next theory class is, in fact, a welcome cheese and wine for all us new members at the Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh after the Easter Break. Blimey - school was never like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment