Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Monday 27th April 2009

After a week of illness, this morning sees me feeling much better. I realise with dismay that I have not let Al know my bee suit requirements - the first practical is on Saturday! I dash off an apologetic email and he replies almost instantly, with the request to give him my order at the class.
That evening I find myself sitting with other would-be lady beekeepers. To my relief, only one of our number has ordered her suit, and I feel the beginnings of a bond. We are divided into groups for the apiary visits, and we four find ourselves in Group C. Our first visit will be to the apiary of the fabulously gothic F and her partner M, whose hives are located at the science campus of the University.
Al reminds us that we cannot go on the visit without protective beewear and we still have time to order, as long as we can pick up the suits from his house on Friday. Al lives only 3 miles from me and as my new friend would have to travel in from Edinburgh, and the Borders, I offer to collect their suits and bring them to the apiary, and this is accepted appreciatively, We are a helpful lot, us beekeepers.
We continue to learn more about bee management, including the parts of the hive and the various types available. We are given a list of things to find out about at our visits - learning outcomes as they say in education these days. The theory is interspersed with personal insights and funny stories from Al and Big Al, and again the evening passes quickly. We leave chattering like school children - excitedly calling our good byes - "See you on Saturday!"

No comments:

Post a Comment