Saturday, June 20, 2009

Thursday 13th May 2009

A beautiful day spent mostly in the garden. I am heading back into the kitchen when I spy Mr M, my neighbour, out in his patch. I grab a box of eggs to take out to him as we are overrun with them - he sees me approach and wheels over to the fence. I hand over the eggs, which he receives with pleasure, but then delivers a surprise blow. He and Mrs M have been thinking, and they are worried about me having a hive. Where it will be situated means the bees will be flying over the bottom of their garden,where they have a lot of flowering shrubs and also that is where their pool filter pump is. They understand I will be very disappointed and don't want to 'cramp my style' (?) but they feel that a whole hive of bees flying over, especially when Mrs M is changing the filter, would be too much. I smile and nod and say I understand how they feel, (I don't - how will a whole hive of bees fly over just when Mrs M is changing the filter which happens once a year and it is only stupid carp which don't actually do anything interesting of useful or......) I take a deep breath - Mr M is badly disabled and suffers from a nasty condition, and Mrs M works full time, cares for him and does all the household chores on her own. They don't need me to add to their stress. I suggest that I ask Al to come round and look at my proposed site and have a chat with them. Mr M says that would be an excellent idea, and we part still as good neighbours. I mutter darkly for most of the evening.

3 comments:

  1. So what happened next??
    I do so enjoy the way you write. Those beginning entries actually made me laugh out loud! Bees are not for us. LOL!! Thanks for the enjoyment!
    nutMeg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I never did get a hive, and the bee project ground to a halt soon after, as it wasn't going to be possible. Now we have moved to the croft - see www.thebarefootcrofter.com - there is more of a chance the bees will come. Watch out ...

      Delete